Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How To Optimize Your Site With GZIP Compression

Compression is a simple, effective way to save bandwidth and speed up your site. I hesitated when recommending gzip compression when speeding up your javascript because of problems in older browsers.

But it’s 2007. Most of my traffic comes from modern browsers, and quite frankly, most of my users are fairly tech-savvy. I don’t want to slow everyone else down because somebody is chugging along on IE 4.0 on Windows 95. Google and Yahoo use gzip compression. A modern browser is needed to enjoy modern web content and modern web speed — so gzip encoding it is. Here’s how to set it up.
Wait, wait, wait: Why are we doing this?

Before we start I should explain what content encoding is. When you request a file like http://www.yahoo.com/index.html, your browser talks to a web server.

in reference to:

"How To Optimize Your Site With GZIP Compression"
- How To Optimize Your Site With GZIP Compression | BetterExplained (view on Google Sidewiki)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this fine post. I have read all the things very carefully,
its really a helpful and effective post. I have already bookmark your blog
cheap Web Design